Wednesday, January 12, 2005

home at last

I honestly expected to spend the rest of the week in D.C.'s Dulles Airport. I won't recount all of the airport horrors I endured this week, but I will say that I ended up part of a ragtag group of stranded travelers: the socially awkward man with doctorates in both finance and engineering, the highly anxious Purdue student who just returned from India, and me. Somehow we navigated a system that seemed designed to anger and infuriate us. Go team!

I had an amazing time touring world-class facilities and meeting renowned psychologists, but I don't ever want to wear my suits or talk about my dissertation again. I learned something disturbing at UNC. Patients who need organ transplants are first given a cognitive assessment. Those who do especially poorly (mental retardation range) may not make it onto a waiting list to get an organ. Happily, if I go to UNC, I won't be doing those sorts of assessments anyway. I loved Chapel Hill, though. It was hilly and full of trees.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?