Wednesday, April 27, 2005

self-defense

my dissertation edits are finished. I sent copies of the final draft to my 4 committee members today. they will now re-read and dissect it. on may 13, I will have my defense, and they will grill me on every aspect of the study.

the amazing thing is that for the last month the only parts of the whole process that worry me are
1. what to wear
2. whether I should bring homemade baked goods or other refreshments to the defense
3. where we should all go to lunch afterwards

as of right now, I am considering the following
1. a sheer, ruffled blouse with the black skirt and my snazzy new shoes- professional yet stylish
2. yes, coffee and muffins or coffeecake
3. Scholar's Inn, not my favorite but the others will like it

Hugsband and my mom get to attend the defense and the lunch afterwards. I also have a bottle of good champagne I can break out later that night. then, I can officially change the name of this blog to dr. rachel's bloomington '04-'05. though, technically, the doctor thing isn't offical until my internship year is finished. for Ph.D. candidates in nonclinical programs, they're called 'doctor' as soon as the defense is over. my stupid program drags it out an extra year.

the culture of graduate school is so weird.

Comments:
defense? very odd. am unfamiliar with the lingo of academia... hope it all goes well. outfit sounds very cute, and coffee and muffins (bribes?) good idea...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?