Sunday, May 15, 2005

WARNING: this is sad.

Simon, our beloved pet and favorite animal in the world, was euthanized yesterday. Hugsband and I made the decision yesterday morning after he experienced 2 days of rapid decline. he was unable to stand and was in a lot of pain from his kidney disease. the vet didn't think he would return to his old self, and he seemed very uncomfortable.

Hugsband and I have been trying to stay out of the house and to keep busy. our thoughtful friends Kara and Paul distracted us last night, and we went out for wildbird therapy at yellowwood state forest today.

we would love to hear other people's memories of Simon. if you have any you'd like to share, please post. I will scan in some comics I drew about him too.

Comments:
The first memory that comes to mind when thinking about Simon pertains to his posh apartment that he enjoyed in his final days. While I didn't get a chance to see the most recent renovations, I remember seeing Simon looking quite happy in his little box with toys, plants (albeit temporary), tasty food, etc...He was a very lucky and well-kept friend.

Another memory I have of Simon is watching him cuddle with you. I had never seen a bird be affectionate before.

Another memory of Simon is hearing him whistle the Muppets song. He was one of the reasons for my renewed enthusiasm for the Muppets soundtrack.

I'll quit for now. He was a sweetie.
 
Okay. One more.

How could I forget to mention when Simon and Gerta duped me into giving them their tasty treats rather than their healthy dinner.
 
I remember Simon too... as you and Jason are the only people I know who have birds, all my birdy memories are of him! I liked how he could sound like a ringing phone or a sneeze (or am I imagining the last one?!) and I too remember the Muppets theme...
 
close. he imitated me blowing my nose, and he loved doing that. he would make the noise when someone merely wiped their mouth with a napkin.
 
also, the last thing he was working on was 'gigantic' by the pixies. he could nail the first part of the chorus.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?