Saturday, July 09, 2005

I went to OCD clinic yesterday. it will be one of a number of specialty clinics where I will see clients. I am supposed to call them patients, I think. the cases sound very interesting in a Howard Hughes kind of way. (many involve bodily functions.) I will have clients in the assessment clinic, outpatient therapy clinic, OCD clinic, newborn follow-up clinic, the inpatient ward, and the autism clinic. of course, each place has different paperwork and a different way of doing things.

on thursday, we toured the newborn intensive care unit at the hospital. just before I left for work, I retrieved a message that our very good friends had a healthy baby on Wednesday. what a relief to know that before I saw babies who could fit in the palm of my hand. some of these infants were only carried 23 weeks before birth. there were more than 50 tiny babies in that clinic. I put one in a teacup, took a picture, and sent it to Ann Geddes. my job will be to test these kids when they're 18-24 months old. a lot of them end up with cerebral palsy.

needless to say, I was exhausted when I got home from work on Friday. I slept for 10 hours last night. I like it though. I like the other interns and most of the faculty seem friendly and helpful. next week starts the autism training, and I will be on cloud 9 all week. relatively speaking.

Comments:
more like 11.5 hours if you count the time you slept while you were supposedly watching a movie with me. also, i think i saw that picture - did the baby have some sort of animal costume on and it was sleeping?
 
Glad to catch up on the goings ons. My parents just recently went to Mystic. They really liked it. Is Abe trying to catch rats or squirrels? I bet Todd's folks could offer up some squirrel recipes. Did you know that they put nutria in gumbo in New Orleans? Do you think my obsession with rodents is a restricted interest?

Working with or around medically fragile kids is a real downer...and it can make you paranoid about having kids.
 
Did you know that rats eat dog poo?
 
Abe is catching squirrels. happily, there have been no other rodents spotted in this area. it's safe for you to come visit! I'll ask Ami what he thinks about your rodent fixation on monday. (we're tight like that now.)
 
p.s. I am putting your rat poo talk on extinction.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?