Sunday, September 24, 2006



remember the episode of pee-wee's playhouse where PW makes a salad bar and says "eeeeew, brains" when he holds up some cauliflower? I love that story. I just made roast cauliflower from the restaurant AOC's recipe, and promptly ate about 3 cups of the stuff. what a wonderful dish. I am also making curried carrot & squash soup with lots of ginger, but that won't be ready until the cauliflower is long gone.

it's macoun apple season too. macouns are a new england specialty, and they're only available for a couple of weeks each year. they're tart and crunchy and don't keep for more than a week or so. we bought a bunch.

on the chicago job front, I have some possibly exciting news. one of the university medical centers is trying to create a job for me. if they find funding, it will be mine. I may be traveling to chicy-g in the next couple of weeks to meet with some docs.

we want to buy a home when we move. I have started obsessing about houses in the greater chicago area and have fallen in love with oak park, but I don't think it's affordable. Hugsband will be going back to school, so my increased salary will be offset by losing his. maybe I can commute from Hugsband's parents' basement in bradley? at some point in my life, I hope he and I are both earning full salaries at the same time. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I imagine the 2-salary life might involve designer suits and expensive chocolate, but it may mean pet monkeys and our own pizza oven. really, I am fine with either lifestyle.

Comments:
We also fell in love with Oak Park when we were home shopping two years ago, and ended up buying our condo in nearby Berwyn. It's much cheaper, and close enough that we still frequent Oak Park restaurants and amenities easily. It's also showing signs of building up a bit of a downtown itself, so we're constantly warring with ourselves between our desire for our town maintaining its local flavor and diversity, and our desire for the higher property values that come with gentrification.
Forest Park is between the two (both in geography and price) and is very nice itself.
We'll need to get out Berwyn's notoriously bad school district before Sophie reaches school age, but I think we would have done that anyway.
This probably won't help you at all, but there's some input from someone local anyhoo. Let me know if you can use anymore specific info.
 
that definitely helps. I know almost nothing about that part of town. can I bug you with house finding and neighborhood questions as I have them? I don't know how to reach you, but my email is my firstname.lastname@yale.edu .
 
This is rockin' news, Rachel! I can't wait to come visit the pet monkey who you will have trained to make and serve me pizza.
 
Oh man! Well, welcome to the I-wanna-buy-a-house-husband-in-school-club! I'm glad to have another member! :-) I think it would be amazing if you guys moved here. I'll keep an eye out for bungalows under $150k...hahaha...

Therese
 
I will be in Chicago from Oct 10-14, in case anyone wants to show me around a neighborhood!! T, wanna go to Garcia's?
 
Not so fast...

Before you go to Garcia's, you have to see Bre and me first. That is, if Bre doesn't have to work and stuff. I can't wait until you get here.
 
excellent news! glad you're moving back to chicago but i'll miss NH and we only visited once... it was lovely tho. am sure you'll be offered an amazing job soon if you haven't been already.
 
This post was hilarious. It reminds me of the home theatre Chris and I want, with a popcorn machine and soda fountain. Except we're not ready to say we're kidding yet.

Irving Park, Logan Square and Avondale are good up-and-coming neighborhoods in Chicago, too. Becoming very popular for families and young couples. Don't know the budget, but you guys could probably get a little house or a nice condo there and they are good areas.

Mike probably knows lots more about the city than I do, or our buddy Ann T... but if you ever look to the suburbs, feel free to ask us lame-o's. We are suburban property experts! ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?