Wednesday, March 28, 2007

id- emo- superemo

it's been a hard week. I was Hugsband-less for the weekend. he went to kankakee for a wedding, and I was on call and stayed home. every time one of us travels without the other, we say "let's never part again". but we always seem to forget our vow. usually, I travel without him, which, if we have to separate, is the preferred arrangement for both of us. I can run around and do stuff, and he can stay home and watch movies. it's just the natural order of things. the best scenario, though, is when I bring him with me as I did when I went to Montreal.

we went to a rock-n-roll show monday night. we were the oldest people there by at least 15 years. the music was good, but I was distracted by the thought that I may see some of these kids at work. they're the same age as many of my patients. I mean, if one of them had tried to commit emo suicide last night, I would have been paged in to the emergency room. I mentioned this to Hugsband, and we somehow we ended up discussing how Freud's structure of the personality (id-ego-superego) may be altered in these kids: id-emo-superemo. if one were to successfully commit emo (ego) suicide, he would be left with only the superemo and id to battle it out. this idea is kind of entertaining because it's easy for me to picture what superemo looks like- quiet and serious kid, doesn't smoke, a modern day Ian MacKaye. and it's completely different from emo id-- he's the stoned kid in tight pants running around poking his friends with a vibrator (that really happened). it would be fun to see those 2 duke it out.

there's a tiny superemo and id in each of us.

Comments:
I just read this to your mother and she says she doesn't get the joke. I think it's probably one of the funnier things you've written about in a while here. I'm going to try to get her to post here more. Can't wait till you get back home. Hope you're OK.
 
thanks, Jake, but I would actually prefer that my mom not post. I think if I knew she was reading I might censor myself or at least avoid certain topics.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?