Thursday, October 11, 2007

we've been in chicago for about 3 months now. obviously, we have been excited about being nearer to family and friends, but recently I've started to develop a few new favorite things about the city.

(no particular order)
1. the poorly rendered Obama painting on milwaukee ave
2. the closed restaurant on ashland that used to have a cool sign that said "HOPE DIES LAST" (also the title of a Studs Terkel book) and was replaced with "pizza shut"
3. the homeless, shirtless man on devon ave who wears a stethoscope
4. speaking of devon, the yummy indian food at uru swati
5. finding clothes and home furnishing that I love. it's easier for me in chicago than in any other city
6. watching Hugsband at Tae Kwan Do. last week I saw him spar with a 13-year old. guess who won.
7. the irving park ymca. barely redecorated since they opened in the 20's: same tile in the pool, same polish dudes in the lounge area, really sucky racquetball courts
8. living someplace where my friends are eager to come and visit
9. having a grown-up job, finally
10. sugar cane drinks, also on devon ave
11. the snack cart that comes down my street, selling mangoes and fried crunchy things that I haven't been able to order because I can't figure out what they are.

Comments:
Who won? The 13-year-old, right?

Chicago sounds wonderful. I look forward to visiting you soon.
 
not only did i destroy that wimp but i can also kick most 14-year-olds' butts too!
 
Oh man, Devon. I could eat my way up that street on one side, and down the other.

Do the crunchy things look like orange wagon wheels? Because those are basically Cheetos. Which the Latino community is totally crazy about around here, strangely enough.
 
yes, wagon wheels! how disappointing that they're like cheetos because I hate cheetos and I had imagined that they were spicy/tart/yummy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?