Monday, November 03, 2008

my 3-year old niece and I had a sleep-over on halloween. originally, she was supposed to sleep over at the museum where Hugsband works, along with her sister and parents, as part of a big annual halloween party. but we found out last week that she was too young to stay all night, so I picked her up and brought her back to our place while the others slept on the museum's marble floors. (frankly, I don't see the appeal. $55 each to sleep on the floor??)

anyway, my niece is very sweet and fun but naughty enough to be interesting. she's obsessed with make-up and princesses and beautiful things and seems genuinely confused by my limited grooming routine. she said a number of very funny things while she was here:

** (saturday morning 7am) "aunt Rachel, why don't you put on some lipstick and brush your hair to be beautiful?"
"nah."

** "I need some spray for my hair"
"I don't have any spray at my house and you don't need it. your hair is already pretty."
"the next time I come to visit you, I'll bring some. isn't that nice sharing?"

** "we should paint your fingernails"
"no"

** "do you want to wear something pink today?"
"no"

I shoot down all of her ideas to make me over, I never just say "yes" and always explain that I prefer a more realistic aesthetic when she asks whether I think her barbies are pretty, and I place ridiculous limits on her television viewing at my house.

And yet, somehow the kid is still nuts about me. I don't get it.

Comments:
Hilarious. Is her mum very girly? My neices were like that from 3-6 and now are growing out of it a bit (my heart leapt when Natalina recently said 'I'm a tomboy, I love sports'). They once came over and I was wearing jeans and a grey T-shirt... Sabrina said 'Why are you wearing a boy's top?'
 
surprisingly, her mom isn't overly girly at all. I blame disney. they make all of that princess crap, and then the girls just want to grow up and wear ball gowns and have flowing hair and be rescued by prince charming.

btw, I have been meaning to talk with you about you grey top...
 
I loved this. I think, I strongly think, you should keep doing what you are doing. Kids are very impressionable and they need a non-girly role model in their lives. I plan on letting my daughter see me wash my hair with dishwashing liquid after a fishing trip on a regular basis.

G
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?